Sunday, December 21, 2008

Counting down the hours

So I'm now about 36 hours away from my surgery. I'm having a laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy, or LSH, with a possible right salpingo-oophorectomy, or RSO. I'm thrilled to be having this done laparoscopically, as the recovery will be much easier than with a traditional incision.

It's overwhelming, all the different options when it comes to hysterectomy. At this point, I've obviously done so much research at this point that it no longer throws me into an anxiety attack to have it all spelled out - but I certainly had my moments in the years and months leading up to my own surgery.

Some people don't want to talk about hysterectomy - they find the entire idea embarrassing, or somehow shameful. I'm not one of those people. I'm all about the conversations, folks. Because the more you talk, the better you feel about it all. And let me assure you that silence is incredibly hurtful when you are grappling with such a huge decision.

Maybe you know someone in my place - and you're not sure what to say or do. Well then, heck, just say that! "I'm not sure what to say, but I want you to know I am thinking of you," is perfectly wonderful. And if you want to learn a little more so you can be supportive, well, let me introduce you to the HysterSisters website. Designed as a support system for women facing hysterectomy, it has a wealth of information for friends and family as well.

I have a lot to get done in the next day and a half - cleaning the house, doing the laundry, all that stuff I don't want anyone else to have to think about for a while after my surgery. I plan to do the majority of my posting to this blog after my surgery, to document what it's like to have an LSH and what the recovery is like. I hope it's helpful to someone out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment