Monday, February 9, 2009

Healing question

This weekend I was asked this question - How does the recovery for a hysterectomy compare to the recovery for a c-section? It's not a bad question, actually. And since I've now had both, I'm able to compare the two.

(Before I go any further, let me just note that I'm speaking only about my laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy, or LSH. Hysterectomies may also be performed via an abdominal incision or vaginally, and the recovery process is different for each of those procedures.)

With a LSH, the operation is minimally invasive; the whole thing is done with very thin instruments inserted through small incisions and with the aid of a video camera. If you're a geek like me, you can't help but find the whole thing fairly fascinating. Yeah, we all have our things, and apparently cool medical procedures are mine. Anyway, in my case, there were three small incisions - one in the bellybutton, and one on either side of the abdomen.

With a c-section, I had a bikini line incision which had to be big enough to allow the extraction of a full-term baby. The scar is about five-and-a-half inches long.

Here's my honest estimation - the c-section was much, much easier to recover from. As I put it this weekend, when they did the c-section they pulled a baby out and stitched everything back up - but when they did the hysterectomy they removed an organ and removed endometriosis. Oh, and an ovary. All of that was really rough on my body. I do think that people tend to blow off any laparoscopic surgery as no big deal, but that really betrays a lack of understanding of the procedures. Just because they're using teeny little instruments doesn't mean they're not doing major work!

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog and others written by women. Now that I think of it, I don't know that I have read any blogs written by men.

    The type of pain you describe is huge. I think I hear you talking about it on several levels. You've had pain for a very long time. Furthermore, it's not just a physical pain. The loss issues involved really suck. I think there is also a trauma that one experiences from many years of symptoms, medical diagnostics, and treatments. I can sort of relate. Although, I know my experience is not the same.

    As part of my own healing for recurrent pregnancy loss (miscarriage), I am using humor and music. I've actually Googled looking for miscarriage (and pregnancy loss) related humor and music. I have a short list now on my Facebook wall of this type of music. I make my own humor.

    I just tried Googling a short while for hysterectomy humor and music. This is what I found that I would repeat:
    http://www.healthliteracy.com/article.asp?PageID=7196
    I don't mean to trivialize your pain by suggesting humor. I just find that my very wry humor helps get me through some very unpleasant times.

    Humor was recently useful during a long day I spent hemorrhaging (literally)in an emergency room. Or maybe, I was just getting silly from the low blood pressure, low RBC count, and the need to escape. This was my 4th miscarriage in a row. It is probably my last. Gee, I make myself laugh.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali,
    I have a question that you may or may not want to answer at some point. Have you noticed that the "bedside manner" of medical staff makes a difference in how you have felt or been able to use medical care?
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is also a trauma that one experiences from many years of symptoms, medical diagnostics, and treatments.

    You're absolutely right, Jane.

    You're also right on with the humor - you have to hang on to that, because I myself believe that you're in real trouble when you can't find something somewhere to make you laugh, even when it's black gallows humor.

    I'm so sorry for your loss, Jane. I know it's just heartbreaking for you.

    And yes, that's a good question. I will have to wrap my head around a good answer for you.

    All my best,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete