Thursday, January 15, 2009

Three weeks out

I've been struggling to put together a post after my post-op appointment yesterday. Everything went fine, and I was cleared in that I don't have to go back again. Stitches look good, everything's healing nicely. I'm to use my own good judgment about exercise and activity in general. I can swim or take a bath now.

I didn't get the pathology report or pictures that I was hoping for, so that was disappointing.

I'm also wrestling with the whole endometriosis issue.

They did find endometriosis on my right side, which explains all the pain in the months prior to my hysterectomy - particularly the ER and doctor visits which had everyone convinced I had appendicitis. They took care of it.

But I've kept an ovary. I'm only 37, and if we can hold off menopause for as long as possible then it's for the best. But it does leave me at risk for developing endometriosis again.

My surgeon put the odds at 50-50.

I'm choosing to be optimistic, but living with this disease, you get used to unfair twists and turns, and there will always be that little fear - will it come back? Have I gone through all of this, only to have to have more surgery in the future?

Endometriosis is such a rotten bastard, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment